Accounts Receivable Specialist
Opening with Proliance Surgeons Orthopedic Physicians Associates
Job Role: Administrative
Job Type: Full Time
Clinic Summary –
Orthopedic Physician Associates (OPA) is Seattle’s premier provider of orthopedic services. Our physicians and clinical staff work together to ensure that patients receive complete orthopedic care, whether surgical or nonsurgical, for problems or diseases of the bones, joints and muscles. OPA physicians are board certified in Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Physiatry and Anesthesiology and each has advanced subspecialty Fellowship training in Sports, Joints, Foot & Ankle, Spine and Trauma. OPA Physicians are known regionally and throughout the world as leaders in their fields. They lecture frequently, train others and develop new surgical techniques and many of the breakthrough hardware used in today’s surgeries.
Position Summary –
The primary role of the Accounts Receivable Specialist is to complete timely insurance follow-up and to retrieve payment on unpaid claims. This includes researching, auditing, rebilling, and collection of accounts.
- Accounts receivable follow up; includes written and verbal correspondence with patients
- Timely insurance follow-up on unpaid claims
- Write protest/appeal letters to insurance companies
- Research, audit, and investigate proper payment of claims and patient accounts; includes pulling batches and explanation of benefits (EOB) and knowledge of insurance contracts
- Prepare accounts for outside collection agencies
- Make adjustments to patient accounts; rebill accounts
- Updating of patient insurance information, including memo entry for billing documentation
- Meet with physicians to review applicable patient accounts
- Customer service – answer billing inquiries from patients and/or healthcare providers; make outgoing calls to insurance companies and patients
- Research and complete refunds for patient or insurance over-payments
- Discuss financial arrangements/create payment plans with patients
- Send letters to delinquent on payment letters to patients
- Post private and insurance payments
- Assist other personnel as directed by Supervisor/Manager
- Other duties as directed by Supervisor/Manager
- Must follow all policies as outlined in Employee Handbook
The essential qualities necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Flexible and adaptable
- Organized and detail-oriented; thorough
- Team player
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision
- Excellent public relations
- Interfaces well with staff and physicians
- Professional demeanor
- Excellent follow through
- Takes initiative
- 3+ years medical billing revenue cycle and account collections experience (required)
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of insurance payer nuances
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Skill in basic data entry
- Excellent math skills
- Excellent phone etiquette and ability to communicate effectively
- Medical billing knowledge
- Ability to exhibit cooperation, flexibility, and provide assistance when interfacing with patients, physician and staff
- Ability to multi-task
- Skill in organizing and reporting information that is accurate and complete
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Ability to prepare records in accordance with detailed instructions
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Consistency and timeliness in attendance
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear
- The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, and sit
- Work is performed in an office hospital and surgical environment
- Some bending and stretching required
- Use of telephone is required
- Manual dexterity required for use of surgical instruments, and computer keyboard
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours
The work environment/physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
How we are protecting team members from COVID-19?
Employee and patient health and safety is our top priority. At Proliance, we are adhering to CDC, State and local orders regarding COVID-19 and have implemented processes and precautions across our facilities to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Following the most recent vaccination mandate for healthcare workers in Washington State, and our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and patients, all Proliance employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination upon hire, or proof of a medical or religious exemption.
Proliance Surgeons offers a generous benefits package including Medical/RX, Dental, Vision, 401k with profit sharing and more! Plus ALL of our employees enjoy the free perks of our employee purchasing program offering a variety of discounts on purchases made every day – including cell phone service!
Proliance Surgeons is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply.
All employment decisions at Proliance Surgeons are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.