Patient Services Representative
Opening with Proliance Surgeons Orthopedic Physicians Associates
Job Role: Administrative
Job Type: Full Time
Orthopedic Physician Associates (OPA) is Seattle’s premier provider of orthopedic services. Our physicians and clinical staff work together to ensure that patients receive complete orthopedic care, whether surgical or nonsurgical, for problems or diseases of the bones, joints and muscles. OPA physicians are board certified in Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Physiatry and Anesthesiology and each has advanced subspecialty Fellowship training in Sports, Joints, Foot & Ankle, Spine and Trauma. OPA Physicians are known regionally and throughout the world as leaders in their fields. They lecture frequently, train others and develop new surgical techniques and many of the breakthrough hardware used in today’s surgeries.
The role of the Front Office Patient Services Representative (PSR) is to act as a liaison employee for patient appointments, accommodation and access to the physician. This includes booking appointments, greeting patients, verifying eligibility, processing necessary information to support that activity and triaging with physicians and medical assistants on acute scheduling problems.
- Provide exemplary customer service
- Greet and direct patients, sales personnel and visitors
- Check in/verify information for established patients, confirm insurance/referral, consent forms and all patient information are up to date in practice management software and electronic medical record
- Check in/register new patients, verify insurance eligibility/referral, enter insurance/referral information in practice management software and electronic medical record
- Identify payor source, verify insurance eligibility and financial status
- Enter personal health information and financial information into practice management system with a high rate of accuracy; complies with federal and local laws to ensure patient privacy
- Assist patient with completion of paperwork when necessary
- Inform patients of delay or wait time for appointments
- Review records for completeness, print necessary updates and put records in order
- Review physician clinic schedule for accuracy
- Collect and post co-pays
- Prepare physician day sheets listing surgeries, meetings and all other activities
- Facilitate flow of patients by coordinating with medical assistants
- Schedule appointments, conferences and meetings in person
- Schedule interpreters for patient appointments
- Complete duties as directed by supervisor
- Assist other personnel as directed by supervisor
- Must follow all policies as outlined in Employee Handbook
The essential qualities necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Superior customer service
- Great interpersonal skills; patient and pleasant personality, works well with a variety of people
- Organized; uses time efficiently
- Team player
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision
- Interfaces well with staff and physicians
- Professional demeanor
- Dependable and flexible with attendance and working varied hours when needed
- Able to manage frequent change, delays or unexpected events while maintaining a positive mindset
- Proficient oral and written communication
- Ability to problem solve
- Motivated; measures self against standard of excellence, overcomes obstacles and challenges
- High School diploma
- 1-2 years relevant experience in public contact, preferably in medical office environment
- Minimum 1 year front office or medical reception experience
- NextGen and EMR experience (desired)
- Expertise in accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to monitor own work to ensure quality
- Ability to provide feedback to improve performance
- Meet and exceed efficiency standards
- Proficient in using a computer
- Knowledge of practice management software and its use
- Knowledge of patient portal software and its use
- Data entry/type 40 wpm
- Ability to remove oneself personally from given situations, remaining objective
- Ability to exhibit cooperation, flexibility, and provide assistance when interfacing with patients, physician and staff
- Ability to establish priorities, coordinate work activities and exercise initiative and problem solving, discernment, judgment and effective patient and staff communication
- Ability to multi-task
- Skill in organizing and reporting information that is accurate and complete
- Understanding of the need for and evidence of consistent respect for confidentiality
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all staff
- Ability to prepare records in accordance with detailed instructions
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Consistency and timeliness in attendance
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, and sit.
- Work is performed in an office hospital and surgical environment.
- Some bending and stretching required.
- Use of telephone is required.
- Manual dexterity required for use of surgical instruments, and computer keyboard.
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours.
The work environment/physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
How we are protecting team members from COVID-19?
Employee and patient health and safety is our top priority. At Proliance, we are adhering to CDC, State and local orders regarding COVID-19 and have implemented processes and precautions across our facilities to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Following the most recent vaccination mandate for healthcare workers in Washington State, and our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and patients, all Proliance employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination upon hire, or proof of a medical or religious exemption.
Proliance Surgeons offers a generous benefits package including Medical/RX, Dental, Vision, 401k with profit sharing and more! Plus ALL of our employees enjoy the free perks of our employee purchasing program offering a variety of discounts on purchases made every day – including cell phone service!
Proliance Surgeons is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply.
All employment decisions at Proliance Surgeons are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.